A robotic submarine is about to descend into a dark, water-filled cavern in Antarctica, to try to find out why one of the continent's largest glaciers is melting so fast. Antarctica discovery: Melting ice reveals mysterious 300ft-wide 'out of place' object A BIZARRE unexplained object has been uncovered on Google … The warm spell caused widespread melting on nearby glaciers. When sea ice melts, sea level does not change. We found that the mass melting of the West Antarctic Ice Sheet was a major cause of high sea levels during a period known as the Last Interglacial (129,000-116,000 years ago). Thermometers at the Esperanza Base on the northern tip of the Antarctic Peninsula reached 18.3°C (64.9°F)—around the same temperature as Los Angeles that day. Antarctica is melting from below and that's bad news. Almost 90% is in Antarctica, while the remaining 10% is in the Greenland ice cap. The world's rapidly melting glaciers has disastrous consequences on the animals that rely on them for survival. Antarctic sea ice is ice which forms in salt water mostly during winter months. Compared to the Arctic, Antarctica is responding less rapidly to climate change. Officially called the Thwaites Glacier, this mass of ice nestled into the western edge of Antarctica is melting at an alarming rate. The net, total behavior of all ice in the Antarctic is causing a significant and accelerating rise in sea level. On February 6, 2020, weather stations recorded the hottest temperature on record for Antarctica. Melting land ice contributes to sea level rise. Today, the main reason glaciers have begun to melt is because of human activity. The biggest and most notable impact of these glaciers melting is in the rise of sea level. Today, about 10% of land area on Earth is covered with glacial ice. Water’s melting point, 32°F, is a critical threshold for rapid change in polar regions, and only a small fraction of the snow on Antarctica’s miles-high ice sheet reaches that temperature in summer. Researchers trying to understand what's happening have drilled down through seven-hundred metres of ice, to allow a robot submarine to gather information. So far, the Antarctic was seen as relatively stable. A look at … Glaciers everywhere might be melting, but only one has earned the most terrifying nickname: the Doomsday Glacier. Antarctica's Thwaites Glacier, described as the "most important" glacier in the world, is now melting faster than previously thought. Rapid glacial melt in Antarctica and Greenland also influences ocean currents, as massive amounts of very cold glacial-melt water entering warmer ocean waters is slowing ocean currents. Mass melting of the West Antarctic ice sheet, driven by warmer ocean temperatures, was a major cause of extreme sea level rise more than 100,000 years ago, according to …